History of the Devereaux Mansion
The land for the Devereaux mansion was purchased by William C. Staines in 1855. Staines had a vision of creating a cottage-like home. The first portion of the house (the entrance and east wing) was completed in 1857. In 1865 Staines sold the cottage-home to Joseph Angell Young, eldest son of Brigham Young who served as governor of the territory and president of the LDS Church. Joseph Young owned the home only two years before selling it.
William Jennings left an indelible mark on the home when he purchased the Staines home in 1867, adding the whole western wing of the home and creating a mansion from the more humble cottage. Jennings named the home The Devereaux Mansion after The Devereaux Estate, the Jennings' family England estate. Jennings was a railroad magnate, and a very well-to-do merchant. Jennings was one of the founders and primary shareholders of Zion's Co-operative Mercantile Institution. Through his enterprises, Jennings became Utah's first millionaire.
It was under Mr. Jennings ownership that The Devereaux Mansion received some of its most prominent guests, including President Ulysses Grant and Rutherford B. Hayes.
The Devereaux Mansion fell into disrepair, being vacant for a few decades. A fire in 1979 nearly destroyed the building, and after an extensive renovation project, the mansion was re-opened as a restaurant. Because of its central location within the city and historical significance, The Devereaux Mansion was used as a media central during the 2002 Olympics.
The Devereaux Mansion was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 1, 1971.
For your free consultation and tour, call Joseph Smith Memorial Building Catering at (801) 539-3130.